Based on a study by the federal Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, around 86% of the expenses are made on patients dealing with any of the chronic condition. As the chronic diseases are increasing over time, employers are getting more concerned about finding the substantial solution since they are the one who have to bear the expenses for their employees. What they do not realize is that paying the expenses or providing a good working environment is not enough since chronic diseases has a lot to do with how the body is working from inside.
Yes, the best and proven solution to get rid of a number of medical issues is to track what the body is receiving in terms of food. According to the physicians, food is another name of preventative medicine that is responsible for the overall well-being of a person. If someone eat healthy, he/she would be able to strengthen the immune system to prevent debilitating conditions or vice versa. Though, the fact to remember is that food can never be the substitute for medication; it can only work as a medical aid to improve health and quality of living.
Importance of Food on Wellness
As a matter of fact, healthy eating is the key to strengthening the body and mind. Adding fresh vegetables, fruits and whole grains in daily routine can bring a huge difference to the immune system. Other vital nutrients like folic acid, vitamins, potassium and fiber are also available to support the body to work properly.
Not only this, food also has a huge impact on the person’s mental health. It strengthens stress hormone cortisol and triggers the production of serotonin to provide comfort and peace to the mind. Green leafy food items are rich in antioxidants that protect cognitive decline and brain cells while omega-3 fatty acids are capable of improving mental alertness and concentration.
Food as Medicine for Chronic Diseases
When given proper diet, the body gets stronger and has the ability to fight against infections. Upon constant triggering, there may also be chronic inflammation, which leads to diabetes, lung diseases, obesity and nervous system inefficiency. So, the easiest and most obvious way to avoid getting into such conditions is to ensure proper intake of vegetables, fruits, fiber, legumes and spices that can help the body to control chronic inflammation.
The next worthy tactic to us food as medicine is to replace calorie-dense foods with nutrient-dense foods that consist of natural suppliers of minerals, vitamins, potassium and other nutrients. Apple, for instance, is the rich source of phytonutrients or antioxidants whose responsibility is to cancel the effects of chemicals in the blood, affecting certain molecules.
Let’s now have a look at some of the worthy facts and the importance to use food items for medication purposes:
- What is Holistic Nutrition?
The idea of holistic nutrition evolves around following natural healing protocols. Conventional medicinal practices used to work on physical symptoms to diagnose diseases while holistic nutrition or other alternative approaches focus on non-physical issues causing the disease. Though, holistic nutrition is still waiting to get recognized on government level.
People are aware of the concept of this alternative medicinal approach and used to prefer it on conventional practices to cure their disease. Holistic nutrition starts by analysing emotional, spiritual and physical health while provides a roadmap to patients for quick recovery with the help of sound nutritional principles. Experts know that a human body undergoes various chemical reactions to work properly. When a person takes food with synthetic chemicals, natural chemical processes get affected, which in-turn have negative effect on brain function. Holistic nutrition tries to control these effects by ensuring balance between natural chemical processes and food intake.
- Benefits of Eating Right
There are two types of people- one who are aware of what their bodies need and what they should need; while the second type of people involve those who simply eat what they want without considering whether it is good for their health or not. Keep in mind that healthy diet includes ample consumption of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, lean proteins, good fats and starches that benefit the body in one way the other. As the result, the person will be able to avail the following benefits:
- Weight loss: One of the best things about healthy eating is visible reduction in weight, which eventually leads to lesser chronic problems. Adding whole fruits and veggies to the diet will control calorie supply, thereby allowing the person to burn those extra fats more quickly than before. However, make sure to determine body’s daily calorie requirement as it is different for every person.
- Children’s Health: Since children do what their adults make them see, it’s necessary to maintain a healthy and hygienic environment in the surrounding. They should ensure more consumption of vegetables and lesser canned/processed foods in order to avoid their harmful effects. Also, parents should introduce them to cooking and gardening where they can learn about how to make healthy choices.
- Better Mood: Last but not the least, a healthy diet promises to keep the person’s mood good for the whole day. There is a strong relationship between food and mood, which is due to lesser supply of glycemic load. The person should avoid taking biscuits, cakes, soft drinks and include more and more whole grains, whole fruits and vegetables to ensure satisfactory outcomes.
- Illnesses- A Healthy Diet can Help to Counteract and Examples
- Strong Teeth and Bones: With an adequate supply of magnesium and calcium, the person can have strong teeth and bones. A balanced diet helps the person to prevent osteoarthritis and osteoporosis. So, it’s important to eat cauliflower, cabbage, low-fat dairy products, legumes, broccoli, and tofu for calcium while magnesium is present in leafy green vegetables, whole grains, nuts and seeds.
- Less Cancer Risk: Unhealthy diet is the key to obesity that increases the risk of cancer in the body. A balanced diet should be inclined towards fruits to avoid cancer in the support gastrointestinal tract while fiber, vegetables and fruits can help to prevent colorectal as well as liver cancer
- Diabetes Management: Healthy eating helps diabetic patients to lose weight, control cholesterol, blood pressure and glucose level. It also helps them to stay away from fried foods that are rick in trans and saturated fats.
- Stroke Prevention and Heart Health: Needless to say, controlling cholesterol has a direct impact on cardiovascular diseases. It promises good health of blood or heart vessels with no blood clots, leading to heart attacks. The person has to take peanuts, green vegetables, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds and almonds in order to ensure ample supply for vitamin E. Also, eliminating trans fats can bring a huge difference in low-density lipoprotein cholesterol that causes plaque in the arteries and increase chances of stroke and heart attack.
With this detailed article, one would be able to get to know about a lot of facts about why to shift to a balanced diet.